Dr A Saibaba Goud is MS in Ophthalmology from Osmania University. He completed his Ph.D. in Ophthalmology in February, 1988 earning the distinction of being the first recipient of a Doctorate in Community Ophthalmology in India. Dr Goud was Medical Superintendent of the Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital, Hyderabad and has also served as Professor and Head, Department of Ophthalmology, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad.
Dr Saibaba Goud has contributed much to society through his works for the poor and the sick especially those who are blind. He founded the Devnar School for the Blind where children who have been affected are taken up, encouraged to study and prove themselves to the world. The school today has over five hundred children who study there free of charge and some of whom have gone on to become teachers, engineer and even sportspersons. The purpose in running the school is to instill in these children a sense of confidence that they too can be contributing citizens of India.
Dr Saibaba Goud has authored several books on eye and eye related subjects. He has presented several Papers on eye at National & International Fora in New Delhi, Nairobi, Germany, Beijing, New York and Melbourne. Not a man to stay idle, Dr Goud is currently engaged in research work on Blindness in children from consanguineous marriages, dry eyes, eye problems in beedi workers and research into diabetes and eye care. A special area of interest is the study and production of low vision aids and assistive devices for the blind.
As the Founder Chairman and Managing Trustee of Devnar Foundation for the Blind, Dr. Goud has been running a Residential English Medium School for the Blind with a strength of 500+ children from all over the Country. The school provides free education along with free board and lodging facilities to blind students from LKG to Gradual Standard who come from all walks of life. There is a steady influx of dignitaries visiting the school.
If one were to list out all the awards that he has received for his good work it would be long and will make a small booklet. Suffice it to say that he has been awarded by Six successive Presidents of India, Governors of different states and has to his credit the Padma Sri and the B C Roy award. He has been felicitated by political leaders including the speaker of the Lok-Sabha, Chief Ministers of states and by several bodies who have taken cognizance of the good work he has been doing over the last three decades.
Many paragraphs can be written about a man who has helped the blind lead productive lives, assisted the poor, the sick and those afflicted with leprosy to live with dignity but all of them can be summed up in a short phrase – the passion to serve the needy.
Professional Study & Work
• M.S. Degree in Ophthalmology from Osmania University.
• Ph.D. in Ophthalmology from Osmania University. First-ever recipient of a Doctorate Degree in Community Ophthalmology in India.
• Former Medical Superintendent, Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital, Hyderabad.
• Former Professor and Head, Department of Ophthalmology, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad.
Books authored and academic pursuits:
1. The Organ of Sight
2. Nayanabhiramam (Telugu Vernacular)
3. Meeru – Mee Kanulu (On eye care for Neoliterates in Telugu vernacular. Over 35,000 copies circulated).
4. Dr. Goud has the singular distinction of rendering the Bhagawad Gita into Braille which made its way to the Limca Book of World Records 2004.
5. In the year 2021, we have printed Bhagavad Gita in Braille written by Swami Yaogananda.
6. On 23rd July 2014, the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, released the Braille version of Biography of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel developed by Dr. Saibaba Goud in New Delhi.
7. Presented several papers on eye at National & International Fora in New Delhi, Nairobi, Germany, Beijing, New York and Melbourne.
Association with professional bodies:
1. President, ‘HELP US’ organization working for Leprosy patients.
2. President, National Society for Prevention of Blindness (NSPB), A.P. /Telangana States.
3. President of Hyderabad Ophthalmological Association (HOA) 2008 to 2010.
4. Advisor to the National Association for the Blind, A.P. /Telangana state.
Founder & Chairman of the Devnar Foundation for the Blind, Hyderabad. The Devnar Foundation:
• Supports 500+ Blind Children with Free Education, Boarding & Lodging facilities from LKG to Graduation.
• Runs a mobile school for the Blind and vocational training centre for the adult blind.
• Engaged in Community Service to persons afflicted with leprosy., Rural Poor, Urban Slum Dwellers and the Blind for the past 35 years. Conducted about 400 medical eye camps and performed over 50000 free IOL operations.
Dr Saibaba Goud has been honoured with Six Awards from successive Presidents of India. His awards include:
• The Govt. of India honoured Dr. Saibaba Goud with the prestigious PADMA SHRI AWARD in 2009 which he received from Her Excellency Smt Prathiba Patil, President of India, on 14th April, 2009 at the Rashtrapathi Bhavan in New Delhi.
• Dr. Goud received the prestigious Dr. B. C. Roy National Award from His Excellency Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, former President of India – the highest award given to a Medical Doctor in India.
• The Dr. Siva Reddy International Award for Outstanding Community Service at the International Level that is presented by the All India Ophthalmological Society every two years.
• Received Best NGO award from Shri K. Chandrashekar Rao, Hon’ble Chief Minister, Telangana State.
• Dr. Goud received Dr. M. C. NAHATA NATIONAL AWARD from Smt. SUMITRA MAHAJAN, Hon’ble Speaker, Lok sabha on 24th September, 2017 at INDORE, this award is given once in two years to the eminent Ophthalmologist in the Country.
• Dr. Goud received National Award from His Excellency Shri. Ramnad Kovind, President of India on 3rd December, 2017, World Disabled Day at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi.
Dr Saibaba Goud’s work among the blind has been recognized by All India Ophthalmological Society of India leading to:
• K.R.Datta Award
• J.S. Mahashabde Award
• Award for Documentary on Glaucoma
• Dr. T. Agarwal’s Gold Medal (IIRS)
• E. V. Srinivasan Award
Other awards and honours bestowed by Public Service Organizations and NGOs.
• Drishti Pradatha Award
• Duke of Edinburgh Award
• Outstanding Lion Award by the International Lions Presidents – two times.
• Rastriya Gaurav Award
• Vijaya Shree Award
• Sanatana Dharma Award by Guruji Sivananda Murthy.
• Samaikya Bharat Gaurav Satkar Award instituted by Delhi Telugu Academy. The Award was given by His Excellency Shri Balram Jakhar, the then Governor of Madhya Pradesh.
• Dr. Nandini Ramesh Gandhi Memorial Award – 2006 for Outstanding Contribution for the Welfare of the Blind presented by Dr. Nandini Ramesh Gandhi Public Charitable Trust.
• Yudhvir Memorial Award – 2011 Outstanding Contribution for the Welfare of the Blind by Yudhvir Foundation.
• Honoured by Indian Medical Association, Mahabubnagar Dist.
It will be interesting to note that Dr Saibaba Goud modified the Electronic Voting Machine for the Blind which has now been in use throughout the country in both Assembly and Parliament elections since 2004.
DEVNAR ALUMNI VIGNETTE (SUCCESS STORIES)
We have large number of students (Boys & Girls) who are employed in different organizations. I am giving list of the few.
a. Those were employed in the Banks
1. Vikram, Probationary officer (PO) in Punjab National Ban
2. GP Raju, PO, State Bank of India
3. Chirnajeevi, PO. State Bank of India
4. Krishna, PO, PNB
5. Raj Kumar, PO SBI
6. Bharathi, PO, Bank of India
7. Vijaya Durga, PO, Canara Bank
8. Balakrishna Naik, PO, SBI
9. Uday Sri, PO, Apex Bank.
10. Pawan Kumar, PO, Rural Bank
11. Nanaji, PO. Bank of Baroda
12. Sridhar, PO, Alahabad Bank
13. Dinaker, PO, Syndicate Bank
14. Padma, PO, Syndicate Bank
15. Kalishekar PO, Bank of Baroda
16. Swath N, PO, SBI
17. Rajasekhar Reddy, PO, SBI
18. Sushmitha, PO, SBI
19. Balakumar, PO, Syndicate Bank
20. Aditya, PO, SbI
21. Venkatesh, PO, SBI
22. Aditya, PO, Oriental Bank of India
23. Bhugya, Po, Union Bank
24. K. Pawan, PO, SBI
25. Sai Teja, PO, Indian Bank
26. Raja Ram, PO, Canara Bank
27. Vishnu Priya, PO,
Union Bank of India More than double this number are working as clerks in different banks.
b. The students who have studied / studying in National Law schools.
1. Naga babu completed Five years course in the National Law school.
2. Mr. Arvind after completion of five years Course, Working as Legal Officer, Coal India(his package is 18lacs per year)
3. Chenna Reddy working in Sate Bank of India as a Law officer.
4. Veeranna, in to Legal Practice
5. Pavan, Preparing for Civil cervices.
6. G. Sudheer, working as PO in Canara Bank.
7. Vishnu working in Union Bank of India
Apart from these ten students are studying in different law schools in the Country.
Mr. Zuber Ahmed, after completing M.Phil in International relations doing Ph.D. and also working as a Lecturer in Delhi University.
Three of our students have passed CA examination.
1. Raja Shekar Reddy working in State Bank of India.
2. Deexith has set up his practice.
3. Mahesh working with Senior Chartered Accountant.
Many of our students are working in State Govt., Central Govt. and Private. No one is un employed.
Our student B. Srikanth after completing Engineering from MIT, Boston has set up his own industry and employed the disabled persons.
Some of our students after Completing B.tech are working in Software companies.
To the credit of Devnar Foundation for the Blind the visually challenged once treated as dependent on the family, society and the Country looking always at economical burden but today Devnar has shown them the way where they can live with self-esteem parents can live with confidence and the Govt. with their contribution by way of taxes.
Some of the teachers who have worked in our school and got experience are selected by the Govt. to teach in different schools, they are draying the Govt. salary which is much higher and secure. I am herewith enclosing the list. With the experience in our school one of Teacher Santosh Kumar got a job in USA in the school to teach the visually challenged.